JUNE 21, 2010

Today marks my Grandpa Jack Spooner's (1886- 1963 ) 124th Birthday. It seems like a good day to add in some more photos of the famous people he knew (many of them on a personal basis) during his long years in New York City as the Big Apple's most celebrated waiter and Matrie D'. Like most of the photos I have posted on here through the years, these too were taken at the famous Stork Club where he worked from the 1930's - 1950's

Mrs. & Mr. Gary Cooper circa 1944

I just saw Gary last week in his next to last movie The Wreck Of The Mary Deere, that I originally saw in the Patchogue Theatre on its first run in 1959. We have his autograph in our collection. Gary is buried in the Southampton Cemetery near Joseph F. & Claire A. Knapp

WHAT'S SO FUNNY ?

Gramps knew George Burns & Gracie Allen for years before they were even a team. Same with Jack Benny though his his wife Mary Livingston was mainly just part of Jack's monologues. Their autographs are also on my early Stork Club Pages.

Before He Was An Actor. Clark Gable Was An Telephone Company Employee

Of "Ma Bell" Just Like My Dad

I Think The Phones At The Tables Started With Walter Winchell Who Held Court There For Years

WHO ARE YOU CALLING FOR? ...DANNY KAYE ... I THINK HE JUST LEFT ...

Danny Kaye's favorite dish at the Stork was the Spooner Steak Sandwhich. If you would like the recipe

drop me a line

DOROTHY LAMOUR WAS A VERY CLOSE FRIEND

DOROTHY DANCING THE NIGHT AWAY

FRANKIE HAS APPEARED ON THESE PAGES BEFORE WITH HIS FAMILY , THIS WAS ALSO TAKEN IN THE 40's

CAROL LANDIS WAS A BEAUTIFUL ACTRESS WHO DIED TRAGICALLY IN 1948

A website reader in Germany sent me this photo.

LITTLE SHIRLEY TEMPLE ALL GROWN UP

WHERE'S FRED ASTAIRE ?

Ginger Rogers With Another Great Dancer Paul Hartman 1904 -1973 Who Also Had A Long Stage & Screen Career

If his face looks familiar one of his last TV Roles was as Emmett in the Andy Griffith Show.

THE MUSIC NEVER STOPPED IN THE MAIN ROOM

THE FONDAS

IN 1956 HENRY PLAYED A STORK CLUB MUSICIAN IN THE HITCHCOCK FILM

"THE WRONG MAN" THE FILM WAS BASED ON A TRUE STORY AND SOME SCENES
WERE SHOT IN THE CLUB

ACTOR VAN JOHNSON MAKING HIS WAY IN THE FRONT DOOR

THE CUB ROOM

This was where the celebs hung out and Walter Winchell held court. It was probably the very first VIP Room in NYC & as Matrie D Jack Spooner was in charge of who could enter and who couldn't. He had the nickname of St, Peter. That;s club owner Sherman Billingsley at the center table with millionaire playboy Tommy Manville. In the pinstripe suit on the left smoking the cigar is Orson Welles.

Who Would Say No To

TARZAN

Olympic swimmer turned actor Johnny Weismuller and Jayne ?. Johnny is in our autograph book

OR

ZORRO
ANNABELLA & TYRONE POWER

I think thats one of the Warner Brothers on the left?

I'm Not Sure If Gramps Was Still There When This One Of Jayne Mansfield &

One Of Her Daughters Was Taken. He left the Stork for good in 1958. I do

know that Marilyn Monroe used to come in with her husband Joe DiMaggio

Actress Anne Sheridan Was A Regular There As She Dated Stork Publicity Director Steve Hannigan

for several years. The blonde on the left looks very familiar

"THE GREEK SHADOW"

was the nickname right hand man Gregory Pavlides had. Like Grandpa, Gregory was a veteran at the Stork. He left with Gramps for the Eden Roc in 1958. Here Gregory is watching Sherman's hand signal as for what to do with the couple at this table. Old Sherm had more hand signals for his staff than the entire American & National League combined.

HE ALSO HAD ALL SORTS OF GIFTS TO LAVISH ON HIS CUSTOMERS

All which led to a fantastic business that earned him and his employees some serious

BREAD!

Waiter Captains were said to have earned over 100 G a year in the Stork's Hey Day. I know Jack Spooner did quite well for himself. Billingsley had his own farms upstate for meat and dairy. Here he is in 1946 conducting a taste test on new bread he was offering. Testers are Victor Borge, Zita Miller ( Park Av Glamour Girl) and Bert Lahr ( The Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz)

THE POWDER ROOM

Which Tells Me its Time For Me To Take A Powder Too

MR "B" I'LL JUST TAKE MY HAT PLEASE !

AUGUST 2000 AT THE NY HISTORICAL SOCIETY STORK CLUB EXHIBIT

LINKS TO MANY MORE CELEB PICS AND SPOONER STORK STUFF HERE

CELEB PHOTOS

THE STORK CLUB

BOOKS ABOUT JACK

JACK SPOONER

JACK SPOONER SEMPER FI

Spoonercentral.com