BACK TO THE FUTURE
CARMAN'S MILL 1950's
Carmans Mill was torn down in 1958 to make way for the Sunrise Highway extension that ran from Horse Block Road in Southaven east to William Floyd Parkway in Shirley. That's the lake at Southhaven Park on the left. The mill pond where where Webster caught the trout in the right corner.
HEADING EAST ON SUNRISE HIGHWAY 2001
The large pines in the median were planted by Belmont. The mill was on the right. Sunrise Hwy. crosses Carman's River just past the exit sign
The Mill Pond Today
photo by John Dietz
GLACIER BAY OUTFITTERS
The former Swezey Fuel Oil Co. Where Carman's Tavern Once Stood.
The River is just beyond the trees. "Welcome To Shirley" billboard was just to the right of the garage.
LAST LOOK NORTH FROM THE RAIL ROAD BRIDGE
The motor home is about to cross the Goin' Over
photos : Marty Van Lith
Sometime around the 1920s-30's banker / publisher Maurice Wertheim purchased a large portion of the failed Tangier land tract on the east bank of Carmen's River for his own private shooting and fishing preserve. In 1947 the Wetheim family donated the land to the US and today it is a wildlife refuge not unlike the one printer / publisher Joe Knapp once owned on Mackey Island, NC. Knapp you may recall once rented Carman's River to hunt and fish on in the 1890's.
As The Vane Turns
FOR FURTHER READING & RELATED LINKS